Part III: Survival and Sanctuary
Clip: Special | 8m 55s
Orchestra Hall’s stage sat silent from 1939 to 1941. However, in 1941, with America on the verge of a second World War, Ben and Lou Cohen purchased the Hall and it was reinvented as the Paradise Theater, ushering in a second golden era for the venue. The Paradise became a Jazz spot and a cultural cornerstone, with many claiming that it was as important to Detroit as the Apollo was to Harlem.
Aired: 10/22/19Video has closed captioning.